Hey guys! Today I want to share with you the first design feedback in 2018. Today’s illustration is a scene with a happy developer sitting at a desk by Rich Cullen:
Happy Developer sitting at a desk
Wow! I really like the illustration. The composition is really good and small details on the guitar, character’s head and power outlets are awesome.
What to improve
I can’t say that something is wrong here, but I have some thoughts that could help to make this illustration even better. To make it easier to read I’ve created a list of 10 improvements and and also highlighted them on the illustration below:
- It looks like the line of the guitar body over the guitar neck is unnecessary because it lies under the guitar neck.
- I think it’s better to place the wire more accurately with straight lines and smooth angles.
- The chair legs are located a little bit lower the ground line.
- It seems like there should be a subtle bottom shadow on the table leg like on the other table parts and the guitar.
- All main shapes were drawn with bold lines so it’s more logical to make the lines between pants and boots bold too.
- The space between the character’s legs should be colored with the pants in my opinion.
- There are the small spaces under the leaned books that don’t look very good. It might be fixed by leaning the books on the greater angle or putting the books down a little.
- I’m personally not a big fan of these huge supports. They took too much unwanted attention.
- The only one thing with the thin lines is the headphone’s stand. It looks out of style, I think it’s better to use the bold stroke for the main contour (it’s possible to do 1 bold line instead of 2 thin lines if 2 bold lines look not so good).
- All the books are the same size. It’s quite boring.
I want to say it once again, the illustration is already looks awesome and these are just my thoughts on it.
Don’t forget to check out Rich’s portfolio, He started to post the illustrations not so long ago but I’m sure there will be a lot of cool stuff soon 🙂 Thanks Rich for submitting your design, I hope my thoughts will be useful to you.
Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.
Let’s cooperate, submit your design to get a feedback!